- Transfer your bank accounts.
- Make a thorough list of what must be moved, taking care to include attic storage, lawn furniture and garden supplies. If large appliances are to be moved, special preparation may be necessary.
- Get more than one estimate from moving companies. If you can move yourself, you may realize a substantial savings.
- Plan your travel itinerary. Make transportation and lodging reservations in advance and leave copies with a friend.
- Utilize a Post Office change of address kit for magazines, insurance companies, the Dept of Motor Vehicles, credit cards, national and alumni organizations, church, friends and relatives, stores and your past employer for W-2 forms.
- Make arrangements for your local credit bureau to transfer your credit file, if necessary, to have a credit history available in your new home town.
- Request medical records from physicians, dentists and opticians.
- Obtain all school and immunization records for your children's transfer. Contact your new school principal about your upcoming move.
One Week Ahead:
- Make sure electric, gas, telephone and water services are disconnected & a forwarding address is left. Discontinue newspaper delivery & garbage collection.
- Check on personal items that might need to be picked up, such as shoe repair, alterations, small appliance repair, photos, jewelry, layaway purchases, fur storage and dry cleaning.
- Make arrangements for transporting your plants & pets.
- Have the car serviced for the trip.
- Consider purchasing moving insurance. Your mover's liability for lost or damaged goods will not equal their replacement cost. Take special care to properly insure antiques, art & heirlooms.
- Save the phone book form your former city residence for tying up loose ends for future correspondence.
- Gather all important papers (birth certificate, deeds, wills, passports, etc.) to take with you personally.
- Discard all cleaning fluids, aerosol cans, paint or other flammable items that could leak or explode in transit.
- Pack an arrival kit of necessities you think you may need in case you arrive before the movers.
- Consider purchasing traveler's checks for your trip. Have a certified check or cash ready for the movers. They will not unpack at your destination without payment.